Current research topics of our laboratory are as follows:
- Terahertz time-domain spectroscopy (THz-TDS)
We are using THz-TDS system to characterize a wide variety of materials such as semiconductors, polymers, ceramics, pharmaceutical and agricultural products. This system can also be used to obtain images of optically opaque materials. In this system, THz waves are generated using photoconductive antennas excited by femtosecond laser (wavelength = 780nm, pulse width <100fs, power = 20mW).
Figure: THz TDS system (The workhorse of our Laboratory)
Figure: Transmission mode THz-TDS system
- S. Takagi et al, App. Opt., vol. 59, Issue 3, pp. 841-845 (2020)
- P. B. Ishai et al., PCCP. vol. 17, pp. 15428-15434 (2015)
- S. R. Tripathi et al, Corr. Sci., vol. 62, pp. 5-10 (2012)
- THz biomedical applications: Interaction of terahertz waves with human skin
Since the interaction of terahertz wave with human skin is not yet clearly understood, we are investigating how terahertz wave interacts with skin using attenuated total reflection terahertz time-domain spectroscopy.
Figure : THz-TDS measurement of skin.
- S. Takahashi et al. 5th International symposium on microwave/THz science and applications (MTSA 2019)
- S. R. Tripathi et al. BioMed Opt. Exp.vol. 9, Issue 3, 1301-1308, (2018)
- S. R. Tripathi et al, Sci. Rep. vol. 5, No. 9071, pp 1- 7, (2015).
- THz wave properties manipulation using sub-wavelength metallic helix array
We are using 2D array of 3D metallic helix array to manipulate the polarization properties of terahertz waves. We made low-cost broadband THz wave polarizer and filters using helical springs.
Figure: metallic helix measurements
- S. R. Tripathi et al. OSA frontiers in Optics + Laser Science (2020)
- K. Kinumura et al. IRMMW-THz 2018
- Fiber coupled THz wave measurement system
We are developing THz wave measurement system using non-linear optical crystal excited by high power femtosecond fiber laser (wavelength : 1550nm, pulse width < 70fs, power = 80mW)
Figure: THz wave generation using non-linear (DAST) crystal
- H. Uchida et al. JIMT, vol. 41, pp. 552-556, (2020)
- S. R. Tripathi et al. APEX, vol. 6, pp. 072703-1, (2013).
We are grateful to the following funding agencies for supporting our research: